A Very Belated Happy new year!
I started this post the first week of January, 2019, then got distracted.We creatives can be like that:-) Anyway, thinking back to January...
...when most people are writing resolutions about how they can do better in the future, I am taking the time to review what went well and right in the environmental conservation/zero waste world during 2018.
Despite the 24/7 negative news cycle, especially about the environment, there were lots of goals accomplished signal that some things are going very well.
As you can see from my "2018" top nine photos from my Instagram feed, the theme in my life is plastic, or rather freeing myself from in. And it seeks very much that the world is slowing starting to wake up about the dangers of plastic pollution. And there were many positive changes to reduce the use of single-use plastics in 2018.
There were also other noteworthy environmental wins in 2018:
1. Over 60 countries have banned single-use plastics ( Source: CBS news 6/5/18)
2. Over 349 known cities, counties, and states have done the same (Source: Forbes News 9/20/18)
3. Over 245,000 Teslas sold in 2018 (Source: evBite 1/2/19)
4. 3.2 million electric cars are in use worldwide (Source: 27/7 Wall Street)
5. In The Netherlands, electric ships are hitting the water (Source: 24.7 Wallstreet- item 21 in the list)
6. "Single-use" is the Collins Dictionary 2018 Word of the Year in 2018 (Soure : Collins Dictionary)
7. 45 USA Cities said "I Do" to Clean Energy (Source: Grist.org Dec 27, 2018)
8. Wales, UK got it's first package-free, zero waste, bulk shop, called "The Natural Weigh" (Source: The Guardian, 21 Apr 2019)
9. National Geographic featured zero-waste living in it's May issue..now, that means the message really is hitting the big-time! (Source: National Geographic on-line May 18, 2018)
10. Solar and wind energy was up to 10% of USA mix in the last half on 2017 and first half of 2018
(Source: Clean Technica September 2018)
The future looks brighter and brighter to me!